For publishers and packagers:
I offer services in copy-editing, proofreading, fact-checking, writing, researching, book-planning and project management.
My specialist areas include:
– non-fiction (both children’s and crossover adult)
– activity books
– novelty titles, including complex paper-engineered books
– academic books and articles
…plus proofreading and fact-checking all types of literature.
I can take on the full project management of a title or series, liaising directly with authors, illustrators, designers and production departments. I am also able to meet with you in-house in most circumstances.
Please see my Previous Work page for examples of some previous books I have commissioned, edited and authored.
Whether a business report, educational material, a manual, newsletter or website, I can help you communicate with your target audience in a clear, concise way. My aim is to make your written resources editorially sound, so that you can trust them to convey the best impression possible to your clients and readers. Proofreading, copy-editing, writing and fact-checking are just some of the advanced skills I am able to offer – with a quick turnaround. Get in touch to discuss your needs.
Perhaps you’re an author stepping out into the world of children’s books and need some honest feedback on your work? Or perhaps you’re looking for some guidance to help sell your non-fiction ideas to a publisher? Maybe you’re simply looking for someone to cast their eye over the grammar, spelling and punctuation in your work, to get it ready to self-publish, submit or post online? With industry experience and an excellent track-record of developing and editing children’s titles, I can help with:
– copy-editing: checking for such things as style, consistency, clarity, presentation and suitability for your audience, including an overall critique of your work
– proofreading: making sure that your final text is free of errors or any layout issues
– fact-checking: verifying the sources and phrasing of any factual information in your work
– rewriting: where any anglicising or shortening of text is needed
All of this can be achieved by working with hard copy or on-screen manuscripts: marking-up PDFs with clear colours and suggestions, using Tracked Changes in Word documents or annotating printed work – depending on which method you prefer. Detailed notes are provided in all cases. Drop me a line to chat about the process in more detail.
My fees depend on the amount and level of work required, but as a guideline are framed around the Society for Editors and Proofreaders’ recommended rates. I work to both hourly fees and daily-capped fees, as well as project fees – so do get in touch!